Space events 2022 involve a lot of man-made and natural out-of-this-world activities. These include the upcoming missions of NASA, new meteor showers, and other exciting things that space fans can look forward to.
(Photo : Photo by SpaceX via Getty Images)
In this handout photo provided by SpaceX, a Tesla roadster launched from the Falcon Heavy rocket with a dummy driver named “Starman” heads towards Mars.
For the past few years, space agencies have been exploring the solar system to solve how it formed. Meanwhile, other companies are making efforts to reach the unvisited solar system space regions and even beyond those areas.
Now, here are the upcoming space events you need to see.
Space Events 2022: NASA Missions and More!
Mashable provided the missions and natural space events that are about to occur this 2022. Here are some of them:
(Photo : Photo by ESO via Getty Images)
In this artist’s impression supplied by the ESO (European Southern Observatory) on April 25, 2007, the planetary system around the red dwarf, Gliese 581, is pictured showing what astronomers believe is the most earth like planet found outside our solar system to date. Using the ESO 3.6-m telescope in Chile.
- NASA Artemis will test the new lunar-orbiting space station called CAPSTONE (Cislunar Autonomous Positioning System Technology Operations and Navigation Experiment).
- Of course, NASA’s actual moon return will also happen this May. As of writing, the international space union is preparing its mega-rocket, which will be used for the upcoming Artemis I mission.
- By June, NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope is expected to be fully operational. During this month, the giant rocket might also provide its first captured images.
- This coming August, an unusual space mission is expected to take place. This is specifically the NASA Psyche Mission, which will visit a space rock that is extremely rich in metals.
- NASA’s Juno spacecraft is already in orbit, and around September, it is expected to make a close encounter over Europa, one of the moons of Jupiter.
- NASA’s DART (Double Asteroid Redirection Test) spacecraft will be tested around Oct. 1. The upcoming space activity plans to move the giant asteroid called Dimorphos. If this activity is successful, it will be NASA’s first attempt to change an asteroid’s orbit.
Aside from the mentioned space missions, you can also expect some astonishing meteor showers, such as the following:
- Peak of the Lyrids meteor shower (Apr. 21, 2022)
- Peak of the Eta Aquariids meteor shower (May 4, 2022)
- Total Lunar Eclipse (May 15, 2022)
- Peak of the Perseids meteor shower (Aug. 11, 2022)
- Peak of the Northern Taurids meteor shower (Nov. 11, 2022)
- Peak of the Geminids meteor shower (Dec. 14, 2022)
Space Race Encourages More Missions
National Geographic reported that the ongoing space race further encourages more space missions from NASA and other space agencies across the globe.
China, Russia, and the United States, as well as SpaceX and other independent space agencies, are still competing with one another when it comes to space exploration.
Recently, NASA’s Webb Space Telescope MIRI tool was able to reach minus 266 degrees Celsius, allowing it to become operational.
Meanwhile, another Hubble Space Telescope successor is expected to arrive.
For more news updates about space events and other related topics, always keep your tabs open here at TechTimes.
This article is owned by TechTimes
Written by: Griffin Davis
ⓒ 2021 TECHTIMES.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.